I travel a lot for work, all the time, actually. And I am jet lagged most of the time, whether working or home. It’s exhausting! I just got back from Rosarito, Mexico and before that, 2 weeks ago, I was in Karlsruhe, Germany. Before that Cabo San Lucas and before that Sitges, Spain. I jump to Europe and then to the west coast…and then back again.
So what do I do to survive? Here are my rules to deal with jetlag:
- Drink lots of water.
- No matter how tempting it is, don’t have that 2nd glass of wine on the plane…and definitely DON’T have that third.
- Sleep when you can on the plane, even if it’s the middle of the day where you are going or where you are leaving. You might not sleep so well when you get to your destination so sleep while you can.
- Take melatonin or Advil PM for a couple of nights when you first get to the new location. You need to push yourself into the new time zone…it won’t happen naturally.
- Once you are in the new time zone, don’t sleep in the middle of the day after the 1st day. Sometimes, you are so tired from travel that a short nap is smart the first day. Otherwise, sleep when the locals sleep and push yourself if you get tired in the middle of the day.
- Stay busy. If you have nothing to do, you will get tired and sleep.
- Drink coffee…it helps!
- Stay positive. You will adjust.